Wixon Jewelers in Minneapolis, MN

Diamonds by the Numbers

Custom ring with mold

One in 15 million

Only one in one million diamonds are quality one-carat stones, one in five million are two carats, and one in fifteen million are three carats.


Only 20% of the world’s diamonds are considered gem quality and suitable for jewelry. The remaining 80% are used in a variety of applications from industrial tools to beauty products.

90-120 Miles

Diamonds are formed 90 – 120 miles underground and are carried to the Earth’s surface by volcanic eruptions.

541 Years

The tradition of the diamond engagement ring began over five centuries ago when Archduke Maximilian of Austria gave a diamond ring to his wife-to-be in 1477.

3,106 Carats

With a rough weight of 3,106 carats, the Cullinan diamond is the largest gem-quality diamond ever found.

$71.2 Million

The 59.60-carat “Pink Star” diamond sold for a whopping $71.2 million at auction—the highest price ever for a jewel.

3,000,000,000 Years

Scientists estimate most diamonds are between one and three billion years old!

See the full issue of The Wixon Experience 2017 | Volume 5

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Wixon Jewelers Newsletter

Join our Newsletter

Be the first to know about tips, tricks and trends in jewelry.
Newsletter Sign Up

Join our Newsletter